Installing and Configuring SUSE Manager for Retail
During this course you will learn about the purpose, deployment scenarios, and use cases for the SUSE Manager (SUMA) for Retail product. You will install and configure the SUMA Retail patterns and formulas on top of a SUMA Server and SUMA Proxy Server.
SUMA Retail leverages Kiwi-based imaging in the deployment of Point-of-Service (POS) Terminals and Thin Clients. You will learn about the Kiwi components and how SUMA Retail integrates with Kiwi to allow for the building of images via the SUMA Web UI; and learn how to deploy those images from the SUMA Retail Branch Server.
Lab exercises will have you build and deploy images to virtual machines representing a retail store’s POS Terminals. You will also modify image configuration files to provide for local login to the operating system deployed to a POS Terminal. You will also see how to configure the SUMA Retail Server to automatically accept incoming Salt Keys during the Saltboot imaging process.
Delivery Method: Classroom or Virtual Classroom
Course Duration: 2 days
Course Level: Intermediate
During this course you will learn:
- Understand the purpose of SUMA Retail and how it differs from SUMA
- Learn the purpose of the major components of a SUMA Retail system and how they fit together
- Understand how SUMA Retail is typically deployed by organizations
- Understand the hardware and software prerequisites for installing the SUMA Retail Pattern on a SUMA Server
- Understand the installation and configuration process for a SUMA Server (which must be installed prior to the SUMA Retail Pattern).
- Learn how to install the SUMA Retail Pattern on a SUMA Server
- Understand the hardware and software requirements for creating a Build Host for image building
- Registering and configuring the Build Host
- Understanding the hardware and software requirements for creating a SUMA Retail Branch Server
- Installing and configuring the SUMA Retail Branch Server using the retail_branch_init command and Web UI
- Learn about the Kiwi imaging system and its architecture
- Understand how SUMA Retail integrates with Kiwi
- Learn where to find Kiwi Templates for use with SUMA Retail
- Build Kiwi Images using SUMA Retail
- Deploy Kiwi Images to POS Terminals using SUMA Retail
This course is targeted for IT administrators that want to deploy and manage POS Terminals and Thin Clients in a retail environment. SUSE Partners and consultants will benefit from the discussions on deployment scenarios and use cases for the SUMA Retail product. These concepts, plus the techniques shown in the deployment labs will help SUSE Partners and consultants create impactful proof-of-concept demonstrations for their customers.
- Section 1: Course Introduction
- Section 2: Overview of SUSE Manager for Retail
- Section 3: Installing and Configuring the SUSE Manager for Retail Server
- Section 4: Installing and Configuring the Build Host
- Section 5: Installing and Configuring the SUSE Manager Branch Server
- Section 6 Deploying POS Terminals and Thin Clients Using Kiwi Images
Before attending this course, it is highly recommended that students have a good working knowledge of Linux, including:
- Working at the command line (basic command knowledge)
- Working with editors
- Using zypper / YaST
Students also should have attended the SMGR201 SUSE Manager 3 Administration Course or have equivalent product experience. This experience should include, but not be limited to the following:
- Understand the purpose of, and relationship between Channels and Activation Keys
- Have hands-on experience using SUMA’s Web UI
- Understand the purpose of bootstrap repositories and how to create and modify a bootstrap script for registering a Salt Minion
- Have experience using bootstrap scripts to register Salt Minions to a SUMA Server
Register now for Course SMGR212
Right now there is no schedule for this training. Please get in touch with us to get your training appointment.